Friday, February 27, 2009

Tomatos - February 2009


Wow! This is the first year that I feel like I had tomato success. No world records were broken in this humble plot. But forage we did. Between the lettuces/herbs in the Earthboxes and tomatoes/arugula/scallions in the garden plot, there was always a fresh salad for dinner. Sadly, our season is ending as everyone else’s begins.


In a complete change of tactics, I have seedling in the kitchen window from Seeds of Change. It is time to explore the world of heat resistant tomatoes. Many of my friends and neighbors are saying it can not be done....but I don't know. Not in the garden plot - but maybe elsewhere. The two first types are the heirloom Arkansas Traveler (said to tolerate heat and high humidity) and the Peace vine cherry (high in Vitamin C)

All said. The successes were a well prepared ground with lots and lots of compost, a better (albeit late) trestles system and early worm/leaf miner pruning ( along with the generous help from a Mocking bird who only asked for 1 to 2 tomatoes after several worms - a fair price I think).

Failure - an inadequate cistern set up. I have had it for years but it is feast or famine in South Florida when it comes to water. It has been bone dry for months now. One of the first projects is to utterly renovate and improve the cistern/ drip irrigation system.



1 comment:

Rusty in Miami said...

Wow you are so lucky. My tomatos have been a bust this year