Monday, February 1, 2010

January - Come and Gone

This is the second Calamondin tree here. The first was a graft that my grandfather gave to me long before he passed away. The Citrus @$!!#@ folks came and slayed five beautiful fruit bearing trees. I was willing to cull four. Truthfully the Grapefruit and Key Lime displayed some early signs of the Canker. However, I was willing to battle hard for the gorgeous and symptom free Calamondin. Alas, the dirty dogs waited till I left, slayed the trees, stoled the fruit, left debris and (worse of all) terrorized my 2 German Shepherds. Yes, I spoke with the local PD, who the representative from AG swore they worked in conjunction with. No, PD was in no way involved and the damage was done. No recourse was left. For the pain and grief, a stupid $200 gift card from Walmart (KACK!!!!!!!!!) to replace with non citrus. I couldn't bring myself to walk out there for a year. Mangos fell to the ground, wasted. (Sin of sins) Then, just prior to the South Florida ban being removed, I smuggled a tiny Calamondin across the Countyline from exotic and remote Volusia Co. (current land of my parents and grandma). Something felt healed. Alas, this tree struggled so. Slow to grow, beaten down by Katrina and Wilma, leaves gnarled by leaf miners, crowded out by a slightly more aggressive Starfruit, I was sure, I would need to cull the tree and give up the signature flavor of my family. Then this year, it bore its first true crop. Happy Me!!!!! Calamondin Martinis for everyone.



I'll let the photos speak for themselves. It is the most wonderful time to grow food in Miami. Almost effortless. ;-)

No comments: